Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4, 2012

         Well another 1st for Elder and Sister LeFevre, we spent the 4th of July on foreign soil. I know you are all thinking that Federated States of Micronesia are a territory of the United States, but they are not, Guam  is, but not the FSM, it is it's own country.
          For the 4th of July, we were invited to the American Embassy for a BBQ and "Entertainment", It was an experience every one should have at least one time in their lives.
         We arrived on time at 3:00 p.m. only to find out that the shindig did not start until 4:00 p.m.( I know our flyer said 3:00), we found a seat and just really enjoyed looking around at all the people. I didn't know there were so many Americans on Pohnpei. It was quit a site.  We sang the National Anthem and it was kind of neat to look at the American flag and see our National Anthem. I must admit, I got a little teary, but as I looked around there were a lot of people doing the same thing, getting a little teary.
        After the National Anthem, a prayer was given ( I know you would never see that in the United States at a big 4th of July celebration). It is one of the things I really like about the FSM, they still offer prayers at every function, government and private, school activities and College Activities.  They have not forgotten Heavenly Father out here and I love it.  Almost all of the stores even close on Sundays here. Sorry, I digress, back to the  party. After the Prayer we had to listen to some speakers, the first 2 were really short, but then the Ambassador got up and gave the longest, most boring and politically motivated speech I have heard in a long time. He finally got done and then they served us Hot Dogs, or Hamburgers, salads, baked beans, cookies & brownies and lemonade.  It was not bad, we just needed to make sure the hamburgers were not dog meat, they weren't.
       Now I bet you are wondering how we checked, well we had Elder LeFevre eat his first, because he has tasted dog, and he would have known what it tasted like. He gave it the thumbs up.  Just kidding, we all ate our first bite very slowly and took a really small bit, just in case, it tasted like hamburger to me, so I ate mine.
      They had the beach boys music and a lot of other American music, displays, face painting, and all kinds of fun stuff to look at. We had a fun time.
The people arriving


The Bingham family (they are here for 3 months), the Kjars, and the Vincents



When you are a hungry missionary, it is hard to wait for the food.

The Program (sorry it is sideways, I don't know how to turn it around)

These Elders are so fun

Elder and Sister Kjar


Boy, can you spot those White shirts in a crowd !!!



Chinese or Japenese Ambassador, I don't remember

American Ambassador

Elder Stewart

Elder Haas, digging in

I am sooooooooo Hungry


       If we couldn't be home with our own family having our own BBQ for the 4th, it was a great place to spend it.

P.S.  Thanks for paying your taxes, this is them hard at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment