Thursday, November 8, 2012

Elections and how we change

I posted this on Facebook, but I wanted to add to it on my blog.
      One of my favorite Sally DeFord songs goes a little like this. 
      "If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do? Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true? Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously, if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me? If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say? Would my words be true and kind if He
 were never far away?" and it goes on from there.


        In the last several days, during and since the election, there have been some really awful things said and done to people. People have "de - friended" their friends because of an election, People have said and posted terrible things about one another. We all have a right to our opinion, but I think we need a little perspective here. This was an election, not life or death,the world is not going to end( I know that is a shock to some of you) because of a President. We had an election 4 years ago and we will have another one in 4 years. Some people are happy about the President, some are not. But the things that I have read and have been directed at me and members of my family and friends and even people I don't know, are shameful. I think for a while we have forgotten who we are, and what we represent in life. I think there are many who SHOULD be ashamed of themselves, including me, and many owe apologies to friends and family. Elections are not forever, relationships can be, but it is up to us. If you could see the Savior standing right next to you, and HE really is, would you have said and done and written some of the things that have been posted? I don't think so, and if you would of, then (yes I am going to say it) Shame on you. Maybe we all better take a good look at ourselves and decide what we can do to make things better, with the people we love and care about, with those we have hurt and to help our country. Maybe if we all remembered the 2 greatest commandments, Love God first and then Love your neighbor, we would all be a little more tolerant and kind. It's over, It;s done with, move on and make amends for any hurt you might have caused. I will start with an apology to all I might have offended by my comments on various pages. We are all in this together, let's act like it.


      Believe it or not, there really are more important things than who is President of the United States, and just for the record, The President I follow did not change, his name is Pres. Thomas S. Monson. He is the one I follow, I pray for him and  the Pres. of the United States. In fact I pray for leaders of countries all over the world, because the whole world is in a little mess right now. Notice I said a "little" not a big, gigantic world is going to end mess, a little mess and if we are all honest with ourselves, it is our own faults. We as a world, have become spoiled, greedy, and selfish. We live in an age when everyone says it's all about "me". Well, guess what, it is not all about any of the "me's" in the world. It is about all of us, working together to make a better world, not to get ahead of one another or think one is better then another. 


       Remember the 2 great commandments, I mentioned earlier, well they are still in force today, and  on these 2 great commandments "hang all the law and the prophets".   Love God First and foremost, even in an election year. If we Love God first, we will not treat others the way we have, because if we truly love God, we know He wants us to always be kind. Because KINDNESS MATTERS. Then Love your Neighbor, even and especially in an Election year, even if they vote for the other guy and he wins. LOVE GOD FIRST THEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR.


       May I suggest we all do whatever needs to be done to make right the wrongs that have happened over the last several days.  May we Love God First and treat people the way He would have us. Then Love our Neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment